On 11/ 5/10 05:38 PM, mhampton wrote:
Depending on what those Firefox tabs were, they could have put a
significant load on your CPU (Flash ads for example) or used enough
memory to make atlas work too hard.  It would be interesting to know
if it works if you aren't running anything else.

What is your processor and amount of RAM?

-M. Hampton

I've not managed to build ATLAS on any single virtual machine on my Sun. That has a 3.33 GHz Xeon and 12 GB RAM, so should not be troubled by CPU load. I've tried allocating one CPU, and allocating more to the virtual machine, but still no joy.

I think there's a way to increase the amount of time spent on the timing loops, so that the overall result is less perturbed to short term changes in the system load. But I could never quite work out how to pass the compiler option to the ATLAS configure script.

There is probably some advantage in having some of the ATLAS parameters configurable by Sage environment variables. In particular, spending longer on the timing tests might help in cases where there is too much uncertainty on results.

Dave