Is SAGE64 supposed to have an effect on linux machines, or indeed on
anything except OS X and Solaris?  In various spkgs, I think there are
lines to the effect

if [ -z $CFLAG64 ] ; then
   CFLAG64=-m64
fi

if [ "x$SAGE64" = xyes ]; then
   echo "64 bit build of cddlib"
   CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $CFLAG64"; export CFLAGS
fi

which looks like it should have an effect on any machine.  However, in
sage-env and elsewhere, there are comments like this:

# In case SAGE64 has been set to yes before re-inject it into the
environment
# This is only done on OSX and Solaris since those are the only real
multi lib
# arches we support. Eventually Linux PPC on the PS3 might need to be
added here

And then in sage-check-64, on OS X and Solaris, a file SAGE_LOCAL/lib/
sage-64.txt is created if SAGE64 is set, but this file isn't created
on other platforms.  The same script checks whether this file exists
to see if this looks like a 64-bit build. Is the file sage-64.txt used
anywhere except in sage-check-64?

As far as I can tell, we actually don't need to execute sage-check-64
except before running sage-spkg or possibly sage-build.  Can anyone
comment on the accuracy of this statement?  (I'd like to remove the
execution of sage-check-64 out of sage-env and into the places that
actually need it.)

Summarizing, my questions are:

 - is SAGE64 supposed to have an effect on platforms other than OS X
and Solaris?  (I think so.)

 - is the file SAGE_LOCAL/lib/sage-64.txt used anywhere except sage-
check-64?

 - is sage-check-64 and/or the variable SAGE64 used anywhere besides
sage-spkg (and the spkg-install files for the various spkgs) and
possibly sage-build?

--
John