On 21 November 2010 03:09, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 5:32 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:
>> On 11/20/10 10:36 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:
>>
>> > Summarizing, my questions are:
>>
>> >   - is SAGE64 supposed to have an effect on platforms other than OS X
>> > and Solaris?  (I think so.)
>>
>> I would say yes.
>>
>> In practice it is only currently used on OS X and Solaris, but looking
>> forward,
>> it could be used on AIX, HP-UX and perhaps even Linux systems on mobile
>> phones.
>
> Is that the compiler flag "-m64" has no effect on other systems?  Some
> spkg-install files just check whether SAGE64 is set, not the platform,
> and then they add -m64 to the flags.  So if that does anything on
> linux, then SAGE64 can be used on linux.
>
>> It's important that the check is made regularly, as someone could start
>> building
>> with SAGE64=yes, then upgrade, or what I've done before, open another
>> terminal
>> and not set SAGE64=yes. If the check did not exist, this would lead to a mix
>> of
>> 32-bit and 64-bit objects.
>
> Right.
>
>> It would actually be good if the file was always created but had "yes" or
>> "no"
>> in it. Then it could prevent
>>
>> 1) Initial 64-bit builds getting corrupted with 32-bit components.
>>
>> 2) Initial 32-bit builds getting corrupted with 64-bit components
>>
>> Currently the file only protects against (1).
>
> On the other hand, if I have a 32-bit install and I want to test
> building an spkg in both 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode, I would like to
> be able to do
>
>  $ sage -f new.spkg
>  $ do some testing
>  $ export SAGE64='yes'
>  $ sage -f new.spkg
>
> for example, just to see if the compiler flags are set correctly.  I
> shouldn't need separate 32-bit and 64-bit builds just for a simple
> check like that.

> John

I agree, sometimes for the purpose of testing, it is useful to be able
to mix objects, if you only want to check if a package builds, and
don't care that Sage will function 100%.

But if I'm running such tests, I don't have a problem with typing

echo yes > local/lib/sage-64.txt

I believe however the default behavior should be to protect the
installation, and not let someone mix object files.

I was not the one that added this facility, but someone obviously felt
it important enough to ensure that 64-bit builds could not be
corrupted with 32-bit objects. But the converse case was overlooked.

Dave

Dave