On 11/20/10 10:36 PM, John H Palmieri wrote:

Summarizing, my questions are:

  - is SAGE64 supposed to have an effect on platforms other than OS X
and Solaris?  (I think so.)

I would say yes.

In practice it is only currently used on OS X and Solaris, but looking forward, it could be used on AIX, HP-UX and perhaps even Linux systems on mobile phones.

So if you come across anything that would stop it working on any platform at all, I would remove them.

Micheal making it work only on OS X was a stupid thing to do, considering he was actually employed to get Sage working on Solaris, not OS X. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

  - is the file SAGE_LOCAL/lib/sage-64.txt used anywhere except sage-
check-64?

Not to my knowledge. I just did a recursive grep of sage-64.txt and don't see it anywhere else.

grep -R sage-64.txt *

just showed it in install.log and sage-check-64.

  - is sage-check-64 and/or the variable SAGE64 used anywhere besides
sage-spkg (and the spkg-install files for the various spkgs) and
possibly sage-build?

Again, recursive grep helps.

local/bin/sage-env
spkg/base/prereq-0.7-install
(plus other 'prereq' related files such as spkg/build/prereq-0.7/Makefile)

Apart from documentation, I can't see it anywhere else.

It's important that the check is made regularly, as someone could start building with SAGE64=yes, then upgrade, or what I've done before, open another terminal and not set SAGE64=yes. If the check did not exist, this would lead to a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit objects.

It would actually be good if the file was always created but had "yes" or "no" in it. Then it could prevent

1) Initial 64-bit builds getting corrupted with 32-bit components.

2) Initial 32-bit builds getting corrupted with 64-bit components

Currently the file only protects against (1).

I've managed to mess up 32-bit builds by having SAGE64 in the environment at the wrong time. Currently (2) is not prevented, but it could be if the file contained yes or no, rather than just being an empty file. But it is not a high priority task.

Dave