The .exe version appeared to install and detect my grub loader, which
I was told to edit a file for.  I was "paperless" at the time, so
didn't write
anything down.  I wasn't remembering the specific instructions the
next time I booted.

The .iso file booted OK from a CD and the browser came up fine.
The notebook APPEARED to connect to port 8000, but <shift enter>
didn't
cause the cells to be evaluated.

I hope to have more time to put to it tomorrow - in the mean time, I
agree
it could pose reputation risk if folks get their MBR corrupted, or
similar.