On 14 Dez., 08:09, Keshav Kini <keshav.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The #sage-devel IRC channel is not currently registered in anyone's
> name on the freenode network (was it ever?), which means that nobody
> can obtain operator privileges in it unless everyone leaves, the
> channel thus gets purged, and then someone joins it to "found" it
> again.
>
> Could some maintainer of this mailing list perhaps take the issue up
> with the freenode staff? As far as I am aware, they will often help
> you to reclaim an ownerless channel by registering it in your name if
> you can provide good reasons why you deserve to own it.
>
> I mention this because the channel topic currently reads "stable:
> 4.3.1 | dev: 4.3.2.alpha1", which is rather outdated, and to change
> the topic one needs operator privileges. At least one visitor to the
> channel has been confused by this outdated topic and was trying
> install 4.3.1, so I figured it might be a good idea to bring this up.

Sad enough, a known issue (since February).

Some people have written to freenode multiple times, no response /
progress so far AFAIK.

-Leif

P.S.: There's an alternate channel (#sagemath) owned by Harald Schilly
and Dan Drake, but few people use it... (and it seems even less want
to leave #sage-devel ;-) ).