It seems that #sage is already registered, though nobody has said
anything there since July of this year. I talked to the owner of the
channel - he is a member of the USENIX Special Interest Group for
Sysadmins ( http://sage.org/ ) and says that other users of that
organization sometimes use #sage as a meeting place. According to
http://sage.org/about/irc.html , though, their official IRC channel is
#sage-members on freenode. On the other hand, #sage-members has not
been spoken in since 2008. The owner of #sage said that he does not
represent sage.org, however. Perhaps someone more representative of
our sage than am I can work out the negotiations over naming...

-Keshav