On 14 December 2010 05:30, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:

> (Btw., I failed in trying to compile some older versions of GCC with
> newer ones, e.g. 4.0.x with 4.3.3, 4.4.3 and 4.5.1.)

> -Leif

At one point one could build gcc with a C compiler. Then it became
necessary to use gcc to build gcc. Now as you say, you sometimes need
specific versions of gcc.

Since Sage is supposed to build with gcc >= 4.0.1, I've tried to build
4.0.1 on Solaris SPARC to test this, but it actually failed, as I was
unable to build gcc 4.0..1 (I can't recall what versions of gcc I used
when attempting such a build).

GCC is a useful compiler, but it would be useful if one only needed a
C compiler in order to compile it. I don't believe the compilers from
Sun ((Oracle), HP or IBM can build recent version of gcc.

Dave