On 16 Dez., 18:09, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 14 December 2010 05:30, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
>
> > (Btw., I failed in trying to compile some older versions of GCC with
> > newer ones, e.g. 4.0.x with 4.3.3, 4.4.3 and 4.5.1.)
> > -Leif
>
> At one point one could build gcc with a C compiler. Then it became
> necessary to use gcc to build gcc. Now as you say, you sometimes need
> specific versions of gcc.
>
> Since Sage is supposed to build with gcc >= 4.0.1, I've tried to build
> 4.0.1 on Solaris SPARC to test this, but it actually failed, as I was
> unable to build gcc 4.0..1 (I can't recall what versions of gcc I used
> when attempting such a build).
>
> GCC is a useful compiler, but it would be useful if one only needed a
> C compiler in order to compile it. I don't believe the compilers from
> Sun ((Oracle), HP or IBM can build recent version of gcc.

Well, the problem appears more to be building older versions with
newer ones than the other way around, since newer versions tend to be
more strict, standards have changed, and nobody maintains very old
versions. You cannot expect compiler developers to work around bugs in
obsolete software...

By changing the source code I got a bit further in compiling 4.0.x or
4.1.x (with newer gccs), but didn't really pursue that. (It might be
easier on systems with also "outdated" C libraries etc.)

-Leif

P.S.: I would be rather surprised if Sun's cc did *not* build recent
versions of GCC. Unless the compilers are very old (pre-C90), this
should IMHO work (since it is to some extent aimed at), in contrast to
the above situation which is less likely or reasonable.