Hi Volker!

On 29 Jan., 19:38, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> People contribute to OSS because they have a itch to scratch, not because
> they read an ad. Only people that are interested in Sage will contribute to
> Sage. You need to focus on getting out the word that Sage exists and what
> its aims are.

+1. That is how I became a contributor.

> Potential contributors with less experience are not "losers" that "drag
> everyone down". Everyone started out as a novice.

A "novice" is someone who just lacks experience. If one just lacks
experience then one can learn. I think an open source project is a
very good way of learning for a novice. Novices, feel welcome to Sage!

In contrast, a "loser" is someone who lacks experience *and* self-
awareness.

That's to say, a loser would attack a huge task (since s/he is not
aware that such task can only be tackled with a lot of background),
would create a huge chunk of code that doesn't really work, but by
lack of self-awareness would not acknowledge that it is flawed in the
basic parts. Then, some people would try to explain to that person
*why* it does not work, but, again by lack of self-awareness, to no
avail.

Have you heard about "trisectors"? I hope I got the right translation
of the German word "Trisektierer". These are amateur mathematicians
who try to tackle classical compass and straightedge constructions.
Ignoring the fact that there is a proof that you can't trisect a
general angle using compass and straightedge, they write up their own
"proof" that it *can* be done, and send it to math professors. If the
professor can't resist to reply to the trisector and point out the
flaws, then the trisector would send back an even longer, even
wronger, and increasingly angry fake proof.

Such people *do* drag people down.

In the situation of Sage, there can be (i) experienced mathematicians
who are losers in programming, (ii) experienced programmers who are
losers in maths (but they are interested in maths, for otherwise they
wouldn't try to contribute to Sage), and (iii) = (i)+(ii).

I don't know a protecting agent against losers, but I expect that the
"sociologists" in the open source community have developed appropriate
mechanisms. Kind of "don't feed the troll" (which also works in the
case of trisectors, as one professor once told me).

Best regards,
Simon