A couple of other threads have mentioned ways to possibly shorten the
startup time for Sage.  This made me wonder: What is a good way to
tell *what* is making Sage take so long to start up?  Are certain
sections of the library taking the majority of the time?  Are there
some profiling tools which could help those who want to think about
this focus their efforts?  If not, perhaps that should be the first
step.

It also occurred to me that other software which takes a while to
start up reduces the *perceived* startup time with a splash screen and
progress bar.  Maybe we could think about this once we've determined
that Sage is starting up as quickly as it possibly can (not likely to
happen soon :)

-Niles