I take it that the slow thing is reading ~2000 sage library files from a
harddisk into the filesystem cache. I'm using SSDs and Sage starts
consistently within about 1 second. There is "sage -startuptime" to profile.

The way I see it, the only way to make a significant dent into the startup
time is either psychological (show a prompt and read in the backgroupnd) or
save the whole Sage session into a single file on the first startup and read
it from there (can you pickle a python session? ;-)