On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Jason Grout
> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>> On 2/23/11 12:28 PM, William Stein wrote:
>>>
>>> At lunch yesterday Robert Bradshaw made the interesting suggestion to
>>> read the docs for importlib
>>> (http://docs.python.org/dev/library/importlib.html) and write a
>>> customized import hook, so that every time during Sage startup that a
>>> module is imported, the import is done from a single big in-memory zip
>>> file instead of done using the filesystem.    If this can be made to
>>> work, it would be a huge win for slow filesystems.   The basic problem
>>> is that some filesystems are fast but have huge*latency*.
>>
>> Is it a big win primarily because the zip file contents can be read in and
>> cached by us?  I'm just trying to understand it better.
>
> Which would you rather do on a high latency filesystem:
>
>  (1) Read/stat 20,000 little files, or
>  (2) Read exactly one 40MB file.
>
>>  Is this the same idea as Jar files in java?
>
> I don't know.

Yep. In that case the "high latency file system" was a webserver.

>> You mean like http://docs.python.org/library/zipimport.html ?
>
> Cool.

Note that this should just involve putting the zip file first in the
python path.

> I don't know for a fact that Robert Bradshaw's suggestion will be a
> big win, since nobody has tried this yet.  But I'm optimistic.  The
> idea would be to make a zip archive of
> $SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/python/site-packages (say), and do *all* imports
> using that massive zip archive.

I'm optimistic too. This would, of course, make more sense for
system-wide installs than development versions, but the former are
more likely to be on a non-local filesystem anyways.

- Robert