Although Sage builds fully and passes all doctest on 32-bit Solaris
with gcc, there are a couple of issues I'm aware of where gcc is not
working as well as I'd like.

* R will not build 64-bit on OpenSolaris with gcc
 * The optional OpenMPI will not build with gcc on Solaris, but will
with the Sun compiler.

However, we can't build Sage with the Sun compiler, as there are too
many GNUisms.

Hence I''ve been thinking about the possibility of building some
packages only with the Sun compiler.

One way to do this would be to defined three environment variables

SAGE_NON_GNU_CC
SAGE_NON_GNU_CXX
SAGE_NON_GNU_FC

which if set would use those compilers C, C++ and Fortran compilers
rather than the usual gcc on a few packages where this is desirable -
like OpenMPI and possibly R.

Any thoughts on this, or suggestions for a better approach?

Dave