On 3/17/11 12:35 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com>  wrote:
On 3/16/11 3:04 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

Overall, I believe the abs(actual-expected)<tiny_number approach is
the only practical way to handle doctests.  The expected numeric
result is still available, just not on a line by itself.

Crazy idea: What if we introduce a "# numeric 1e-10" doctest flag (like
#optional, etc.) that does just that---reads in the doctest answer, gets the
output of the function, and does an abs(actual-expected)<  epsilon (where
epsilon can be specified in the flag, or it has a default).

sage: some_numerical_function() # numeric 1e-6
3.43234454

passes if abs(real result-3.43234454)<1e-6

+1, that's a great idea. I'd be up for # [relative|absolute] tolerance
[<epsilon>]

In case people missed it, Robert put his code where his mouth and vote was: http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10952

So now it needs review. I've put up a comment or two. It would be great if multiple people looked at it, though.

Jason