On 04/ 1/11 11:46 PM, Burcin Erocal wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 17:20:57 +0100
"Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kir...@onetel.net>  wrote:

On 04/ 1/11 12:54 PM, Burcin Erocal wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 00:37:46 +0100
"Dr. David Kirkby"<david.kir...@onetel.net>   wrote:

I've built Sage 64-bit on OpenSolaris but it crashes at startup. I've
run gdb and find the bit of code that's causing the crash is this.

It seems that cones.py looks for posets.py, which needs the graphs
module, which initializes the graph_editor. The graph editor tries to
see if it's in the notebook or the command line, but sagenb imports SR
and Expression from sage.symbolic.all (line 563 of
sagenb/misc/support.py). This tries to initialize the functions
(integrate in this case) before pynac is initialized...

We need a better solution for making sure modules are initialized
properly before anything is imported from them. I thought putting an
__init__.py file in sage/symbolic/ with "import pynac" would solve the
problem. However, it seems that python just ignores that file.

Any suggestions on how to solve the general problem properly?

BTW, telling people to import from .all if they are outside the current
module is just asking for trouble. We can't put initialization code in
all.py, since it would just get imported to the main namespace.

Cheers,
Burcin

This issue is now