On 7 April 2011 03:15, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For many people, this would make Sage no longer free - it would
>> effectively cost $5 and none of that money goes to Sage.
>
> Well, you could still download a binary.  They aren't requiring that
> people give them money from things compiled with it, are they?  But I
> agree it's a problem, if true. $5 is not much, but it's $5, and the
> hassle of doing it could inhibit developing.  Esp. if updates were
> required.

Another option might be to cross-compile GCC from a Linux system,
though I would expect 99% to take the easier option of just installing
a binary.

With an iPhone you can't officially at least install an application
unless it is downloaded from the Apple store. To do so needs a hack
which invalidates the warranty. There's nothing stopping Apple doing
the same with OS X in the future. That's a risk you take.

But for now, I'm just glad Apple are putting money into Clang. I've
never been impressed with GCC, so if someone produces something
better, I'm keen.

Dave