This looks at least a LITTLE BIT like the trouble I am having under
UBUNTU 11.04
I am running within VirtualBox under Windows Vista on an amd64 laptop,
which has worked very well previously.
Plot3d has worked for me in previous releases of SAGE and VirtualBox
with various distros of Linux, mostly Debian and UBUNTU (Debian
based).
The applet seems to be JMOL (?) but I get lost when I try to trace
through what makes up the calls and what is passed in the process.

Oracle(/Sun) just released VirtualBox 4.0.8, which I am downloading
NOW.
I doubt that updating from 4.0.6 will have any effect on THIS problem.
Point is the success of plot3d DOES seem to be platform dependent.

No difference on VB 4.0.8