Please excuse me for pulling the subject of this discussion back to
what I think the original post meant...

On May 19, 2:47 am, Ari <garon.ari...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working with sage
> from the terminal and whenever I use the function plot3d, nothing
> happens.
> Ari

As far as I know, the usual "jmol" and "canvas3d" rendering engines
will not work from the command line. But, you can save your plot as a
PNG, as rendered by Tachyon:

sage: var('x y')
(x, y)
sage: plot3d(x^2 + y^2, (x, -1, 1), (y, -1, 1)).save("test.png")

The above example will save "test.png" to your current working
directory.

As an aside, you can also export your 3d object in various formats.
One example is the "obj" method, whose output can be viewed in Blender
(www.blender.org).

sage: var('x y')
sage: a = plot3d(x^2 + y^2, (x, -1, 1), (y, -1, 1))
sage: f = open("dump.obj", "w")
sage: f.write(a.obj())
sage: f.close()

After downloading and installing Blender (which is very easy to do),
do "File > Import > Wavefront (.obj)" and select the file "dump.obj".

-- Kelvin