Which java do you have installed?  The default with Ubuntu is
IcedTea.  Last time I checked this was working with the patch, but
that could be the problem.  Jmol (the 3D application that is launched)
is only verified against the Oracle/Sun JavaVM.  If you are using
IceTea try switching to the Oracle/Sun release.

I just destroyed my Ubuntu VM so can't check this right now.

Jonathan