Hi Vladimir!

Sorry for not adding your full name, I have filled the ticket with
information that I could gather from the comments.

On Jun 14, 10:03 am, v...@ukr.net wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
>
> kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 14, 9:14 am, v...@ukr.net wrote:
> > > Hello!
>
> > > By the way, I remember that some months ago a Russian translation
> > > of Sage Tutorial had been ready. I personally edited it and
> > > formatted for Sage documentation system, but still cannot find a
> > > way to read it on the sagemath.org web site.
>
> > This is because it was not yet positively reviewed.
>
>   So what should actually be done for this translation to be accepted?

At this point almost nothing, I think that Karl will give the final
approval tomorrow morning. I saw this ticket a while ago but was
thinking that giving a positive review would require careful reading
the whole thing and checking the accuracy of the translation. Recently
there was some agreement that for documentation translations we should
not be as strict as with the rest of the patches, due to limited
availability of people knowing appropriate languages as well as Sage
and mathematics in general. So I have checked that in general is looks
OK, fixed a few small issues and rebased for the current version of
Sage. All further improvements can be done on top of it.

> > > And one more thing. What about translating Sage more deeply? I
> > > mean not only the tutorials and basic documentation, but the
> > > interfaces also. Or maybe even the information displayed when the
> > > user types something like
> > > sage: command?
>
> > I don't think anyone has done this.  It should be possible, but a huge
> > amount of work.

Usefulness of this work is somewhat questionable as we will not be
able to maintain these translations and it may lead to discrepancies
between detailed documentation and actual commands. In addition, it
becomes even harder to find appropriate people to translate and
referee, since individual commands may require deep understanding of
specialized areas of mathematics. Given that it took a year to review
the tutorial...

>   Translating the interface (Notebook and possible others) should not
> be too hard. Translating the help pages ("command?" output) is indeed a
> very big work, but English is still a considerable problem for young
> scientists from xUSSR. That is why I believe the popularity of Sage
> highly depends on the translation and the documentation in Russian. I
> know some people who could use Sage if they knew English well enough to
> read help at least. There are not only physicists or mathematicians
> among them, but also some electronics engineers and others.
>   Don't you think that a good translation into Russian could increase
> the Sage popularity among Russian-speaking users?

I think the next goal should be to improve the tutorial translation as
currently I find it a bit too literal which can be confusing for new
users (I couldn't quite understand what are "Базисные кольца" and in
fact was first thinking that they are "base rings"). Ideally, the
Russian tutorial should be just Russian tutorial, rather than trying
to be an accurate translation. By the way, are Maple/Mathematica/
MATLAB translated into Russian? I am pretty sure there are Russian
books on them, but is their help itself translated? 8 years ago it
definitely was not the case, I don't know about now.

> > > Is there a person among Sage developers who coordinates the
> > > translation work?
>
> > No.
>
>   Why? Is it a low-priority question?

It is not so much a matter of priority, but rather a matter of time
and people availability. Making Sage work on Windows is very high
priority, yet it is not going as quickly as we would like to...

>   Regards,
>     Vladimir
>
> -----
>  <v...@ukr.net>