I don't understand how thread safety in libSingular is an issue, Sage runs
in a single thread after all. I thought the explanation is that Singular
uses a slightly wonky optimization for small integer coefficients, roughly
storing it in the place that would usually hold the pointer to the GMP
struct. That of course helps a lot with cache locality, but also would
certainly lead to a lot of tears if Sage were to internally use different
GMP representations in different places.