On Thursday 27 October 2011, Volker Braun wrote:
> Your test2() function leave the polynomial data inside Singular. Of course
> its faster to not pull the (pretty big) coefficients out of Singular.
> Wouldn't the following be a much better comparison?
>
> def test3(x,y,z):
>     x = singular(x)
>     y = singular(y)
>     z = singular(z)
>     for i in range(100):
>         p = (x+y+z)^i
>         p.sage()
>
> The latter is awfully slow. In fact it still hasn't finished by the time I
> wrote this post so forget about it :-)

Sure, but it's still worrisome that a computation is slower in libSingular
than in Singular. If it's down to the different memory manager, then there
isn't much we (can/will) do about, in which case it's at least good to know:
e.g. computing a GB using pexpect might be faster if there is only one common
root for example.

Cheers,
Martin

--