On Wednesday, January 11, 2012, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Somehow, I expected I could run the notebook server in the VM and
connect to
>> it from the host system, but I don't see a way to do it.
> You should be able to connect from the host to the guest port 2222 t(ssh
into the virtual machine) and port 8000 (the notebook browser). If you
can't then there is something wrong with networking either in the virtual
machine or with the host firewall.
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> With VMware (and Parallels) the default standard network connection
>> somehow does both NAT and "host only" networking at the same time,
>> which is much, much less confusing and user friendly.
> I don't understand what you mean. In VirtualBox, the difference between
NAT and Host only is that the packets do not / do go through the host
loopback interface. So with Host only different VMs can communicate and you
can sniff the traffic, and thats about it.

To make sure we are on the same page:  have you used VMware much?

http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics