> Do you mean that one cannot run Virtual Box without X11?
> I'd imagine if it were possible one can just run the sagenb server there,
> and
> use the browser on the host system only.

The discussion goes in circles ;-)
Running the Vm without X and accessing it from the host-browser is the
current solution.

If networking/port forwarding from VM to host would work reliably or
even if one would have good testers base and docs about what can go
wrong and how to fix it
then headless mode and autostart of the notebook in the host-browser
would be a good solution.

Problems start when something goes wrong. In headless mode there is
even no visible Linux terminal window.
If if a terminal is brought up then the user is left to the linux
commandline and - probably - get lost.
Example:
http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/a4808f2cf5b8b79f/03db2e576b21f42e
Hmm, reading this again the missing terminal in headless mode is
probably an asset.

In my personal opinion the work follows 3 tangents:
1) Docs!
2) Integration and support from the windows side , e.g. start-
scripts&gui, menu entries, generation of desktop icons, diagnose
scripts - e.g. network connection/firewall, even eventually combined
installer "VirtualBoxOSE plus Sage VM"
3) Two virtual images, with possibly complete capabilities (e.g. X
+browser, GuestAdditions, graphics in R, JRE, Matplotlib graphic
backend, etc.) which can be started either in server mode (headless)
with autostart of the host browser, or in VirtualBox seamless mode.
One of the sage images is basic, 32/bit, compiled with option FAT
Binaries and 1 processor. The other is 64 Bit and more demanding on
the Hardware.

I tried Volkers VM, but unfortunately it is to heavy to run on my
machine properly (yes, only 1 GB RAM). I also tried to improve my own
Puppy-VM with the Guest Additions, but I failed to get the mouse-
pointer integration to work - tough luck. Personally I will not have
time to work on this a lot over the next several months, and my
opinion is, that the progress is determined if a group of people on
the windows side is motivated to help, be it testing or even
developing. This could be the hardest part, because most windows-users
expect something working out of the box and give up rather quick if
something behaves unexpected. The very few "bug reports" I got mostly
were as detailed as " A is not working and B is not working and I
wasted 15 min on this crappy software". Still better than no feedback
at all ...

Since it the whole is technically nontrivial but definitely not rocket
science I wonder if this would be a possible student class project of
some Computer Science / Engineering course?

just my 2 Cents
emil