On 01/16/12 08:19 AM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
On 2012-01-16 00:28, Dr David Kirkby wrote:
I don't know what a server with
48 GB RAM and 8 cores would use, but lets say 500 W.
I think that's an over-estimation by at least a factor 2.  Also keep in
mind the efficiency of the power supply, which can vary wildly and cause
large differences in power use.

I very much doubt power consumption would be less than 250 W.

More modern machines tend to be more power efficient than older ones - I know some of them can shut down cores if the machine is lightly loaded. This IBM x3650 is about 4 years old.

The most sensible thing would be to integrate the power over a period of time (say a week) and so work out the energy used over a period of a week. Since we actually pay for energy usage.

Either way, its going to cost more for me to run a single server for a month than William spends on his whole house for a month. That is for certain.

Dave