If I understand correctly, William's point is that simply placing a
copy of the GPL, with a version number attached or otherwise, with a
"or any later version" included or otherwise, in the program's source
code is not equivalent to a declaration of licensing under the GPL of
a particular version, even if said copy of the GPL specifies a
particular version of the GPL which said copy constitutes. Further,
Michael Abshoff's comment at
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/3043 is that the FSF's
interpretation of what license the software is under if it simply
includes some copy of the GPL in its source code but does not declare
itself to be under that license is that the software is under that GPL
copy's declared version and any later version, regardless of whether
the text "or any later version" appears in said copy of the GPL.

(Of course, I don't vouch for any of these statements - just trying to
clarify the discussion.)

-Keshav