On 2012-03-06 05:49, Keshav Kini wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> If I understand correctly, your reasoning for basing new development
> releases on the previous stable release rather than the previous
> development release is that sometimes a ticket may be merged into a
> development release but then need to be removed from a subsequent
> development release due to problems that were found later, or an SPKG
> that was upgraded needs to be downgraded again.

Another important reason is that I sometimes work on more than one Sage
version at the same time.  While putting together sage-5.0.beta7, I was
already merging stuff in sage-5.0.beta8.  This gets harder with what you
propose.

It's also harder to deal with "exceptional" cases.  Like the problem we
had with sage-5.0.beta6 where two files were missing from the
distribution.  It's easier to go back and do it the right way, as
opposed to fixing it afterwards.

Another example: #11235.  While checking all spkgs for uncommitted
changes, I discovered the spkg there contained some garbage.  I simply
removed the garbage and put up a new spkg with the same version number.
 With your proposal, this would probably have involved creating a new
ticket instead of making the trivial adjustment in a subsequent Sage
version.

Obviously, reverting a patch would become more difficult, I don't even
know the "right" way to do it with Mercurial.

Why doesn't git/hg consider the version sage-5.0.beta0 inside
sage-5.0.beta6 the same as version sage-5.0.beta0 inside sage-5.0.beta7?
 They should be identical (apart from timestamps).