On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 17:59, Julien Puydt <julien.pu...@laposte.net> wrote:
> Notice that in (1), rel1 might be what is called a "devel release" ;
> while in (2), that will just be a "stable release" : what is the point
> of having "devel releases" when your living tree is available for all
> to base their work on?

I agree, but I think that there is still of value the notion of a
"beta". If/When we move to git, what I imagine would be something
along the line of the following:

master branch: this is where developers should pull from the vast
majority of the time

beta branch: these would be introduced when the release manager has
decided to cut off new features from the next release. these would be
heavily tested across many platforms until it was determined stable
enough for release, at which point we would make it a

release branch: these are static, never to be changed

As a bonus of using git is that backporting fixes for serious bugs
would be easier to maintain, since it is trivial to checkout different
branches.

Jeroen, I think what Julien is saying is that as soon as a ticket is
closed, the code would be in the what I am calling the master branch,
so anyone could pull and start rebasing their code off of it at that
moment.

--
Andrew