Jason Grout <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> writes:
> On 3/15/12 1:53 AM, Keshav Kini wrote:
>> Please tell me if anything else about what I said, in my previous
>> post(s) or this one, is insufficiently clear - I hope the diagrams are
>> of some help! And of course I welcome comments about the other points I
>> have made as well.
>

> 1. First of all, it seemed that maybe the confusion stemmed from maybe
> not seeing the critical point of your paragraph, which was the
> *unless* part (emphasized below):
> -----
> If we switch to git, as I understand we eventually will, patches
> (commits) made from an older dev release will be considered to "not
> apply" (not be mergeable) a lot more often than merely the cases when
> other people have meanwhile touched the same files - in fact, *always* -
> **unless** we make development releases based on their predecessors.
> -----

Hmm, that would at least explain Georg's analogy to the linux kernel,
indeed... On the other hand maybe Georg interpreted "based on the
previous release" to mean something other than what I meant, viz.:

If A is a dev release and B is another dev release, when I say that "B
should be based on A", I mean that the commits in A should be a subset
of the commits in B. Maybe Georg thought I meant that the commits in B
must all be descendants of the HEAD commit(s) in A (this is not what I
mean!).

> Thanks for this email that you sent too.  I was writing an email that
> was about 1/10 as long and about that clear and comprehensive
> explaining what you explained above.  You did a much better job.
>
> 2. A big +1 to the process changes you describe, and a big +1 to the
> long and very comprehensive (and I thought very clear) explanations
> you are providing.  And especially a big +1 to giving us specific
> technical items to change.  Disclaimer: I too have not done a Sage
> release...

Thanks! Positive feedback is always nice too :)

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !