On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> On 2012-03-22, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Possibly.  I'm curious -- did you attempt to make any backups anywhere ever?
>
> I hope that most of it can be found either in my home directory of
> sage.math (where I think I made the computation for the data base of
> cohomology rings of groups of order 128) and on some machine here in
> Jena.
>
>> The $40K high end server on which /home/lmfdb was located completely
>> died about that long ago.
>
> Rests in pieces?
>
>> And just to warn you: /scratch is not backed up right now either.
>
> Sure. I never stored things I care about on /scratch.
>
>> What *is* backed up is /home/
>
> You know, originally I wanted to have the data in /home/SimonKing/.
>
> But then I was told that the data base was too big and that I should
> move it to /home/lmdb/.

Backing up /home is very difficult already, since it is big.  If you
put your data there, then I might very well of had to exclude it from
the backup disks.     I have since then purchased some bigger backup
disks for /home, by the way (more precisely, Sara Billey purchased
some for us).

> I thought that of course the data bases are
> backed up, similar to the home directory, and that the data were
> relatively safe there.

I wish.  That was the plan.

--
William Stein