I agree that having a palette or menu (I think palette is better) entry is
a good way to lower the entry barrier.  I think the goal should be to have
entry of common expressions (derivatives, integrals, matrices, fractions,
exponents and square roots top my list) available from the palette. They
should be translated by the Javascript into normal Sage functions.  Once
users get used to the pythonic function syntax, I doubt they will make much
use of the palette, except for generating typeset expressions.

Jonathan