I was looking at the function is_AlgebraElement which needs a doctest.
 When I called it in sage (to come up with a doctest) I got a
depreciation warning:

sage: is_AlgebraElement(e)
/Users/Starx/sage-dev/local/bin/sage-ipython:1: DeprecationWarning:
Using is_AlgebraElement from the top level is deprecated since it was
designed to be used by developers rather than end users.
It most likely does not do what you would expect it to do.  If you
really need to use it, import it from the module that it is defined
in.
  #!/usr/bin/env python
False

Which brings up three questions:

1) How are functions depreciated?  I ran
search_src("is_AlgebraElement") and looked at all the results and I
can only find this function occurring in either its definition or in
import statements.  How does sage know to print a depreciation warning
for this function?

2) What is sage's philosophy when depreciating?  Is this to be
eventually deleted?  And if so why not delete it now, as it isn't used
anywhere else in the source.

Finally 3) What's with all the is_Something(x) functions anyway?  As
far as I can see they always just return isinstance(x, Something).  Is
it because we don't expect a user to know the python isinstance
function?

-Jim

--
Die Dunkelheit... leitet die Musik.