On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Starx <jst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) How are functions depreciated?  I ran
> search_src("is_AlgebraElement") and looked at all the results and I
> can only find this function occurring in either its definition or in
> import statements.  How does sage know to print a depreciation warning
> for this function?

See sage/all.py  -- they are only deprecated from Sage's "global
namespace" in order to avoid users seeing things like

sage: is_Integer(int(2))
False

> 2) What is sage's philosophy when depreciating?  Is this to be
> eventually deleted?  And if so why not delete it now, as it isn't used
> anywhere else in the source.

Yes, they should probably be removed from the global namespace in Sage
5.0 as that deprecation warning has been there quite awhile.

> Finally 3) What's with all the is_Something(x) functions anyway?  As
> far as I can see they always just return isinstance(x, Something).  Is
> it because we don't expect a user to know the python isinstance
> function?

They were from awhile back, but I think it's better to just use
isinstance directly.

--Mike