On 28 Mrz., 17:08, leif <not.rea...@online.de> wrote:
> On 28 Mrz., 12:31, "dahl.joac...@gmail.com" <dahl.joac...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > matplotlib is only used for some of the examples with CVXOPT; there is no
> > reason to introduce such a dependency.  If it's a matter of automated
> > tests,  then it would be much better to comment out the
> > plotting in the few examples.
>
> I'd also probably do /that/, although I don't have the dependency
> graph at hand right now...
>
> Simply making CVXOPT depend on matplotlib is certainly easier, but
> IMHO not really appropriate since the former *builds* without the
> latter.
>
> Since we're meanwhile /generating/ Sage's Makefile, I'd simply add
> dependencies depending on whether SAGE_CHECK=yes or not, which doesn't
> require patching CVXOPT's tests.

FWIW, you don't even have to /generate/ the Makefile (or deps) for
that purpose; just make CVXOPT depend on $(MPL_for_testsuite), and set
that variable depending on the value of SAGE_CHECK.

We already have odd (or confusing) dependencies like that of ATLAS on
Sage's Python package; similarly, ATLAS should depend on $
(PYTHON_for_build_script) or the like, for now just to make the reason
explicit.

-leif