For anyone interested in working with the sage cell server, we've made an experimental spkg and posted it here:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/jason/sagecell-0.9.0.spkg

It's sort of hefty (~45MB) because it includes all of MathJax, which is something like 200MB uncompressed for all the image fonts. When MathJax is included in Sage, we won't have to do that, and the cell server will be on the order of a few megabytes.

This works for sage 5.0 beta 6 *with the new notebook* (testing welcome, and rebasing to newer betas welcome!):

# follow the instructions on trac #11080 to install the new notebook, then:
sage -i http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/jason/sagecell-0.9.0.spkg

After installing, open up two terminals:

cd $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sagecell
sage ./start_web.py

and

cd $SAGE_ROOT/devel/sagecell
sage ./start_device.py

Then go to http://localhost:8080

(The potential troublesome spot I see in the installation is that it has to apply two patches to Sage using queues. If you have uncommitted changes, or if you have conflicts, that should stop the spkg installation.)

The default configuration is not secure, so you'll need to do more work to harden the system to open it up to outside users. But at least that should get you up and running for a personal/development server.

And, by the way, with the new notebook installed from #11080, you might as well chip in reviewing it so it can get into Sage 5.0!

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. I made the spkg by doing 'sage sage-spkg/spkg-dist' in the sagecell directory.