On 30 April 2012 05:32, Benjamin Jones <benjaminfjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> The fact there are functions in Sage untested is worrying, and I think
>> its fair to say most people would like to see 100% doctest coverage,
>> but IMHO, we need a plan for this to happen, and the plan inforced,
>> otherwise this will not happen soon. So I'm suggesting we collect
>> ideas for a plan.
>>
>> Two things that do NOT appear to work, at least in isolation are:
>>
>> A) Saying coverage should be x % in release Y, then hoping it is.
>> B) Saying coverage should be x % by the date DD/MM/YY, then hoping it is.
>>
>> Both of these have been tried, and niether are working. The graph here
>>
>> http://thales.math.uqam.ca/~labbes/blogue/2011/03/evolution-of-the-overall-doctest-coverage-of-sage/
>>
>> seems to indicate that progress on this has slowed over the last year
>> or so, where progress was about 4.7% per year. (I'm not actually sure
>> I agree with his line of best fit, which would suggest to me the
>> situation has slowed even more.)
>>

>> A few ideas that might work, are below. I would add, I'm not
>> suggesting they are all very good (in particular 1 and 4 are a bit
>> excessive), but I mention them anyway.
>>
>> 1) Having a release, where the only aim is to increase doctest
>> coverage. No patches are accepted, unless they increase coverage.
>> 2) Finding sections of code which are not tested, and depreciating
>> them, unless someone writes the doctests, in which case the
>> depreciation can be removed.
>> 3) Having a release, where anyone can submit a patch which gets
>> reviewed, but the release manager does not merge it unless the author
>> of the patch can provide another patch which increase doctest
>> coverage.
>> 4) Finding individuals that have written code that is not tested, and
>> not merging any more patches from them unless they first add tests to
>> the ALL code they have already written.
>> 5) Finding individuals that have written code that is not tested, and
>> not merging any more patches from them unless they first add tests to
>> a number (say 5) tests for all the code they have written which is
>> untested.
>> 6) Not accepting any patches, unless a equal number of lines of code
>> are submitted which add doctests.
>> 7) Paying individuals to just write tests.
>>
>> I believe if we want to achieve 100% coverage, we need to do more than
>> A and B above, as they are proved not to work.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest anything else, or have any comments.
>>
>> Dave

> Option 1) seems like a good idea to me. The others might also work,
> but would surely require a lot of extra work on the part the release
> manager or whoever ends up having to enforce / implement the
> restrictions. That extra work would be better funneled into increasing
> doctest coverage in my opinion.
>
> We might consider combining option 1 and plan A, as you put it, but
> set a realistic target %.

> [...]

Thank you Benjamin. Both ideas of yours seem good to me, but I don't
think they will work. William has said

==========
"I am opposed to anything that restricts an author from including good
new up to snuff code in Sage based on any properties ir behaviour of
said author."

I can't see a way forward in this case. I guess we will asymptotically
approach 100%, if all new code is tested!

Personally, I would have thought it a "selling point" if we could say
"Every function in Sage is tested on numerous platforms on every
release", but alas I don't think that will happen.

I give up.

Dave