On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> The fact there are functions in Sage untested is worrying, and I think
> its fair to say most people would like to see 100% doctest coverage,
> but IMHO, we need a plan for this to happen, and the plan inforced,
> otherwise this will not happen soon. So I'm suggesting we collect
> ideas for a plan.
>
> Two things that do NOT appear to work, at least in isolation are:
>
> A) Saying coverage should be x % in release Y, then hoping it is.
> B) Saying coverage should be x % by the date DD/MM/YY, then hoping it is.
>
> Both of these have been tried, and niether are working. The graph here
>
> http://thales.math.uqam.ca/~labbes/blogue/2011/03/evolution-of-the-overall-doctest-coverage-of-sage/
>
> seems to indicate that progress on this has slowed over the last year
> or so, where progress was about 4.7% per year. (I'm not actually sure
> I agree with his line of best fit, which would suggest to me the
> situation has slowed even more.)
>

> A few ideas that might work, are below. I would add, I'm not
> suggesting they are all very good (in particular 1 and 4 are a bit
> excessive), but I mention them anyway.
>
> 1) Having a release, where the only aim is to increase doctest
> coverage. No patches are accepted, unless they increase coverage.
> 2) Finding sections of code which are not tested, and depreciating
> them, unless someone writes the doctests, in which case the
> depreciation can be removed.
> 3) Having a release, where anyone can submit a patch which gets
> reviewed, but the release manager does not merge it unless the author
> of the patch can provide another patch which increase doctest
> coverage.
> 4) Finding individuals that have written code that is not tested, and
> not merging any more patches from them unless they first add tests to
> the ALL code they have already written.
> 5) Finding individuals that have written code that is not tested, and
> not merging any more patches from them unless they first add tests to
> a number (say 5) tests for all the code they have written which is
> untested.
> 6) Not accepting any patches, unless a equal number of lines of code
> are submitted which add doctests.
> 7) Paying individuals to just write tests.
>
> I believe if we want to achieve 100% coverage, we need to do more than
> A and B above, as they are proved not to work.
>
> Can anyone suggest anything else, or have any comments.
>
> Dave

Option 1) seems like a good idea to me. The others might also work,
but would surely require a lot of extra work on the part the release
manager or whoever ends up having to enforce / implement the
restrictions. That extra work would be better funneled into increasing
doctest coverage in my opinion.

We might consider combining option 1 and plan A, as you put it, but
set a realistic target %.

--
Benjamin Jones