Hello!

Nathan,
when cbc-2.7.5 is removed from SAGE_ROOT/spkg/installed/ both main and test
fail with same (rather awkward) error message:

building 'sage.rings.complex_mpc' extension
> Executing 1 command (using 1 thread)
>
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
> -fPIC -I$SAGE_ROOT/local/include -I$SAGE_ROOT/local/include/csage
> -I$SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/sage/ext -I$SAGE_ROOT/local/include/python2.6 -c
> sage/rings/complex_mpc.c -o
> build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.6/sage/rings/complex_mpc.o -w
>
> sage/rings/complex_mpc.c: In function
> ‘__pyx_pf_4sage_5rings_11complex_mpc_15MPComplexNumber_16__float__’:
> sage/rings/complex_mpc.c:9720:48: error: cast specifies array type

> sage: There was an error installing modified sage library code.

The client side implementation sounds the way to me, because one may try to
install a spkg from other obscure sources, not only the server, right? (I'm
guessing here, I'm a noob to sage). By the way, I know I'm stating the
obvious here but - just to be sure:
I DID asked sage 4.8 to get cbc-2.7.5 (not cbc). And that is because ./sage
-optional reports that package with a version number attached to it. So
there are two "problems" to solve: the output of the -optional should be in
sync with what is capable a particular version to handle AND the server or
the client should also check and refuse to install a spkg that is not
supported.

Although, upgrading this time was hard enough that we should probably never
> attempt it again. X-D

:))

 While true, and while I think it's impossible to fix this, given that 4.8
> is old news, I ...

Wishful thinking. 4.8 is not old news. :))

John,
my sage-4.8/spkg/optional also contains cbc-2.3.p2.spkg but has
cbc-2.7.5.spkg, too. What is spooky is that cbc-2.7.5.spkg and all other
spkg's have 01 may as the last time they were modified, while
cbc-2.3.p2.spkg was last modified a few hours ago. How do these files come
into existence, again?

kcrisman,
Again, I will repeat what I said above just for clarity:
In this particular case sage -f cbc-2.3.p2.spkg fails because cbc can't be
build. I tried with both:
./sage -f http://www.sagemath.org//packages/archive/cbc-2.3.p2.spkg
and
./sage -f cbc-2.3.p2.spkg
As I said, the error is:
CbcEventHandler.hpp:137:43: error: ‘NULL’ was not declared in this scope

Nick