On 5/15/12 7:40 PM, Keshav Kini wrote:
John H Palmieri<jhpalmier...@gmail.com>  writes:
On Monday, May 14, 2012 11:43:09 PM UTC-7, Keshav Kini wrote:

     William Stein writes:
     >  On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM, William Stein wrote:
     >>  On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
     >>>  I disagee when it comes to removing parts of a spkg.  Several packages
     >>>  include only partial sources.  They contain the upstream tree but with
     >>>  some files/directories (which Sage doesn't need) removed.  I think
this
     >>>  is fine and should be allowed.
     >>
     >>  Indeed.  Many spkg's are full of stuff we absolutely don't want to
     >
     >  s/spkg/upstream sources     (not spkg's!)
     >
     >>  ship.  They have windows binaries in them, java binaries, big pdf's,
     >>  and other random stuff that wastes space and makes some people
     >>  nervous.

     OK, that's reasonable. I withdraw my objection, though it would still be
     nice if we had a better history of what is or was in the src/
     directories of SPKGs, if it is no longer considered possible to
     determine this simply from the package version minus the patch number.

Any changes like this are supposed to be documented in SPKG.txt, right? If not,
the spkg needs work.

Sure, but a blurb in SPKG.txt is not really the same as having true
versioning of the directory. Of course, we do mostly have copies of all
old versions of all SPKGs (going back at least as far as /home/release
on sage.math contains versions of Sage). So we could reconstruct the
history of these src/ directories with some effort.

Note: I'm not saying we should put src/ under version control. I just
think it's best if we modify it only at install time via patches, rather
than at packaging time, but as Jeroen and William point out, sometimes
it's an issue of file size, or just not wanting to include binary
blobs...

It would be great if we had an spkg-prepare script alongside the spkg-install script. The spkg-prepare script would do any packaging steps when we did sage -spkg. That way I could just unzip a src/ file and do sage -spkg. That would delete the things we don't want from the src/ file, etc. Then I'd have an spkg to test.

Or maybe it should be spkg-dist, or something.

Thanks,

Jason