On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 2:35 AM, Robert Bradshaw
<rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Keshav Kini <keshav.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> On Monday, May 14, 2012 11:43:09 PM UTC-7, Keshav Kini wrote:
>>>
>>>     William Stein writes:
>>>     > On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:31 AM, William Stein wrote:
>>>     >> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>>>     >>> I disagee when it comes to removing parts of a spkg.  Several
>>> packages
>>>     >>> include only partial sources.  They contain the upstream tree but
>>> with
>>>     >>> some files/directories (which Sage doesn't need) removed.  I think
>>> this
>>>     >>> is fine and should be allowed.
>>>     >>
>>>     >> Indeed.  Many spkg's are full of stuff we absolutely don't want to
>>>     >
>>>     > s/spkg/upstream sources     (not spkg's!)
>>>     >
>>>     >> ship.  They have windows binaries in them, java binaries, big pdf's,
>>>     >> and other random stuff that wastes space and makes some people
>>>     >> nervous.
>>>
>>>     OK, that's reasonable. I withdraw my objection, though it would still be
>>>     nice if we had a better history of what is or was in the src/
>>>     directories of SPKGs, if it is no longer considered possible to
>>>     determine this simply from the package version minus the patch number.
>>>

>>> Any changes like this are supposed to be documented in SPKG.txt, right? If
>>> not,
>>> the spkg needs work.
>>
>> Sure, but a blurb in SPKG.txt is not really the same as having true
>> versioning of the directory. Of course, we do mostly have copies of all
>> old versions of all SPKGs (going back at least as far as /home/release
>> on sage.math contains versions of Sage). So we could reconstruct the
>> history of these src/ directories with some effort.
>>
>> Note: I'm not saying we should put src/ under version control. I just
>> think it's best if we modify it only at install time via patches, rather
>> than at packaging time, but as Jeroen and William point out, sometimes
>> it's an issue of file size, or just not wanting to include binary
>> blobs...
>
> I don't think we should be storing the unpacked src/ directory in the
> spkg at all, instead we should store a pointer to a tarball (which
> could be external or right in the spkg itself. Upon install this
> tarball would get unpacked into src/. The sage-spkg script would
> unpack this tarball, compare it to src/ (if it exists) making sure
> there are no differences (that are not accounted for by the existing
> patches, or perhaps even creating a patch to describe the difference),
> and then create the .spkg file excluding the src/ directory (but
> possibly including the pristine, unpacked tarball).

I read the above 4 times and I don't understand what you're proposing,
except maybe (?) to make it impossible to build Sage if you're not
connected to the internet...?  Or to basically change nothing?
Confused.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics