Julien Puydt <julien.pu...@laposte.net> writes:
> Le mercredi 16 mai, William Stein a écrit:
>> I'm against shipping the exact upstream tarballs with Sage, as
>> explained above (e.g., what if they contain opaque Windows binaries?).
>
> My impression is that the current situations occur (sorted in very fast
> decreasing frequency) :
> (1) upstream tarball is ready to ship (tarballs obtained from 'make
> dist' with autotools generally belong to that category) ;
> (2) upstream tarball is in fact obtained by taking a snapshot from a
> repository (there something more might be needed, like running some
> kind of autogen.sh, removing .hg/.svn/.git/.whatever) ;
> (3) upstream tarball is a mess for various reasons.
>
> So there is definitely a need for some script to prepare the shipped
> tarball. Let me call it spkg-get-upstream-tarball for the rest.
>
> For (1), that script could just be a one-liner wget (or is that a too
> big dependency?).

Python has the ability to download files with the urllib2 module. We
don't need wget for this.

> For (2), that script would be a few lines to checkout and remove the
> cruft. Perhaps sage could even have a generic spkg-get-upstream-from-vs
> script which would be called something like :
> spkg-get-upstream-from-vs --git git://url/to/upstream/foo
> that would take care of doing the checkout and removing the obvious
> directories ; that way each spkg-get-upstream-tarball would just call
> that generic script, then do additional actions.

IMO it's not really necessary to have a script which automates this. We
don't upgrade versions of stuff very often, and I think this can easily
be done manually.

> For (3), that script would do everything by hand.

It doesn't make sense to me to have a script that would "do everything
by hand". Why not just... do it by hand?

> How many (3) are there anyway?

Good question.

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !