On 5/18/12 12:08 AM, Jason Grout wrote:
I upgraded the Sage servers to 5.0, and it seems that there is some sort
of really bad scalability problem that I'm only seeing on sagenb.org (or
more likely, is only noticeable on a server the size of sagenb.org).

I found the problem:

https://github.com/sagemath/sagenb/commit/8ff47fdc4e06cdf75c9a56a5528310833b3acdf4

Basically, every single time the home page of the server was shown, the server was going through the entire list of usernames on the server and doing a string compare of each of those names with 4 strings. Wow. Each homepage render was taking 1/3 second, so it only took a few simultaneous requests to peg the server at 100% CPU. This apparently has been creeping up on us, and now that sagenb.org has over 91,000 accounts, it was swamping everything else.

Anyways, it's fixed. And now sagenb.org and *.sagenb.org are running uwsgi to boot. Things feel pretty snappy now. Please let me know if you see any problems.

Thanks,

Jason