First attempt at scheduling alarms a little cleaner:

In hindsight, I don't think this ever comes into play for the doctest
you're looking at. There, timeout==0, so p_iter_fork never schedules
SIGALRMs. The signal that is interfering must be coming from
elsewhere.

However, I think GDB might influence the behaviour of signals in
system calls. A SIG_IGN would normally not interrupt a system call.
It's quite possible that GDB installs a handler that simply passes
through your handler. If that is SIG_IGN, it might be that the system
call still decides to EINTR.

Anyway, you can try if the above ticket helps on bsd.