On 2013-01-16, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_588_6290856.1358340327889
>
> I guess there are at least two different meanings of "the Sage tarball" in
> this context. I was talking about the sum of all code checked into the Sage
> repositories, which is what one would usually call the release. And the
> third party code is not going to be part of the git repo under the current
> proposal.

I don't see how this would be an improvement as far as 3rd party code spkgs
maintainance/updating is concerned. Are you saying it stays under the
same ugly patchquilt model?
Or everyone rolls his/her own spkg repos on bitbucket or github or
whatever (as you do for libGAP)?

Mind you, when I worked on the latest Maxima update (#13364), I had to do git
bisect on *Maxima* repo to debug *Sage*, and then apply the results of this
investigation to stripped of .git/ Maxima source tree, for which I did not
have an exact mapping back to Maxima repo.
It goes without saying that this is rather ad hoc, error-prone, etc etc.
And then, when Sage patches (which are often experimental upstream's patches)
for the spkg are merged upstream, a similar
error-prone manual labour toil, sweat, and tears will be needed...

Dima