On 2013-01-17, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 07:17:43 +0000 (UTC)
> Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
>> This still looks like an ugly hack. Shouldn't  we rather use
>> something like [git-subtree]
>> (https://github.com/apenwarr/git-subtree/) to deal with upstream
>> source?
>
> git-sub{tree,module} is too much. As long as there is an easy way to
> get at the source and work with it, there is no reason to import the
> source code from other projects into our repository . Note that I am
> even trying to keep the packaging stuff out.
I gave above a good reason (debugging a Maxima spkg within Sage), I think.
Even more to the point would be spkgs which are more or less a part of
Sage, such as libGAP.
Note that libGAP spkg at the moment ships a large chunk of patched GAP
spkg.  So basically one has 3 source trees to coordinate, manually, two
of them overlapping quite abit, if
git-sub* is not used.
(And also, actually, GAP spkg has nontrivial spkg dependencies.)

Another example is  eclib, which (probably) most users use from Sage.

Indeed, there are spkgs that seldom get really worked on, such as gcc or
python, but it does not mean that the rest should be locked into the same
inconvenient model.

> lmonade can check out the upstream sources and compile it for you under
> devel/<package_name>. This gives easy access to upstream sources for
> debugging, encourages people to submit patches/pull requests and ask
> for reviews from upstream developers.
>
> Once you have an improvement, you can either export it as a patch and
> add it to the package Sage depends on, or if it is complex enough,
> create your fork on bitbucket, github, etc., point the live ebuild
> there and make Sage depend on that.

And how do you coordinate this with the eventual changes in the Sage
lib proper? By trac comments? SPKG.txt?
Why not use git-sub* for this?
This is what looks the most bothersome point to me.

Dima