My understanding is that only a very small subset of linbox is wired into Sage.
In particular, all the iterative methods for the [rank/minpoly/charpoly/det] of
sparse matrices are not accessible yet, but they are Linbox's strong point.
Currently, sparse matrices are converted to dense ones, and very generic cython
code is then used.

Recent versions of linbox have some support for (read-only) compressed row
matrices.

---
Charles Bouillaguet
http://www.lifl.fr/~bouillaguet/