On Jun 2, 2013, at 9:20 AM, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> On 2013-06-01, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> On a related note, sparse matrices in Sage suck (dictionary of keys).
>> Sparse matrices in LELA only suck slightly less (list of lists). For fast
>> computation one should implement compressed sparse row/column, I think.
>
> IMHO one needs to create a framework where one can choose a backend for
> sparse matrices, rather than aim for a complete from scratch
> implementation.

I don't know what kind of interface do these package exhibit to
access/modify/compute with a sparse matrix.... (eg. Linbox VS numerical-stuff)

There is a presumably standard sparse-blas  API :

http://math.nist.gov/spblas/

> E.g.  there is a kind of standard, in numerics world, implementation of sparse
> matrices, which comes with a lot of extra goodies (including such
> important things like sparse Cholesky factorization, etc):
> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/SuiteSparse/
> A part of it, complete with a Python interface, is already in Sage,
> in CVXOPT.

And part of this is accessible already through SciPy (for floating-point
matrices) :

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/sparse.linalg.html#module-scipy.sparse.linalg
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/sparse.linalg.html

---