On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:48:54 AM UTC-7, Eric Gourgoulhon wrote:

> Le mardi 2 juillet 2013 02:38:44 UTC+2, rjf a écrit :
>>

>> What you've written is just a hack.
>>

> Of course it's a hack; this is why I did not submit it as a patch for Sage.
> As far as one restricts oneself to the REAL DOMAIN, I think it works.
> Please show me a counter-example.
>
> Again, let me insist:
> it is elementary mathematics that
> sqrt: R+ --> R+, x |--> sqrt(x)
> is a ONE-TO-ONE map, the reverse of which is
> R+ --> R+, x |--> x^2
> I think everybody agrees that when working only with real variables, this
> is the standard meaning of the sqrt function.
> Then it must obey
> sqrt(x^2) = abs(x)
> and the above hack simply ensures this. This is why I called it
> 'simplify_sqrt_real' to insist that it is valid only for REAL-valued
> expressions of REAL variables.

If you called the function in question  "real positive branch of the square
root of a positive number" rather than sqrt,
maybe you might get agreement.  Let's call that RPBSRPN.

  Your statement  then translates to RPBSRPN(x^2) = abs(x) .
But then if it ir R+-->R+,  the abs() is unnecessary,  and RPBSRPN(x^2) = x.

Surely you don't believe  that sqrt of positive numbers are always
positive.

(for the movie clip from Airplane -- Surely you can't be serious -- see
http://www.ign.com/top/movie-moments/88  )

 For example you can then derive the quadratic formula and show that a
quadratic
equation has only one root.   (Or only has a single root if b^2-4ac > 0,
your constraint.

As I suggested, you are free to come up with some other function, perhaps
absqrt()
with your specified behavior,  but I would expect it to be of limited use.