On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Vincent Delecroix
<20100.delecr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I guess my follow up question would be do we want infinity to be real in
>>> this sense or is that just a byproduct of its implementation?  I don't
>>> know
>>> all the uses for infinity that other sage users have, but certainly from
>>> the perspective of the Riemann sphere it's a bit odd since
>>> CC(infinity,0),
>>> CC(0, infinity) and CC(infinity, infinity) are all distinct in sage,
>>> giving
>>> us 3 different complex infinities.  I'm not particularly picking on CC,
>>> since infinity*I and infinity are also not equal.
>>>

>> If you ask me, neither RR nor CC should contain any kind of infinity.  As a
>> piece of mathematical software, Sage must be mathematically correct and not
>> pretend that infinity is in RR (or CC).
>>
>> There is a set of floating point objects and a set of real numbers; they
>> have a large intersection, but both of them contain elements that the other
>>
>> doesn't.  Plus or minus infinity and "not a number" are not real numbers;
>> conversely, most real numbers, like pi, cannot be represented (only
>> approximated) by floating point numbers.
>>
>> Of course, it is also true that floating point objects can represent
>> infinity, and for a good reason.  For example, if you evaluate a
>> meromorphic function at a pole, then it is legitimate to say that the
>> result is infinity.  It is just not an element of the complex numbers, but
>> of the Riemann sphere (the projective line over CC).
>>
>> For the real numbers, there are two separate completions: first, the
>> projective line over RR, which has only one point at infinity and is a
>> subset of the Riemann sphere; second, the "extended real line" containing
>> plus infinity and minus infinity.  It depends on the context which one is
>> more useful, but both of them are definitely different from RR, because RR
>> does not contain any infinite element at all.
>>
>> So I would say that the current behaviour of Sage (Infinity in RR giving
>> True and any similar suggestion that infinity is a real number) is
>> mathematically wrong and must be changed.  It also contradicts the
>> documentation of the infinity "ring" (in which Sage's "Infinity" object
>> lives), which says that the infinity "ring" does not canonically coerce
>> into any other ring.
>
> I do not agree. RR and CC are *badly* named in Sage. As Peter said,

RR isn't named "Real numbers"; it is named "real field with 53 bits precision"

sage: RealField(53)
Real Field with 53 bits of precision

That said, of course, it is not a "field", so it is misleadingly
named.   I was just following Magma in these conventions:

wstein@pixel:~/Downloads$ magma
Magma V2.18-5     Thu Oct  3 2013 13:44:16 ...
> RealField();
Real field of precision 30

> they are sets of floating point numbers. In particular, I found
> completely valid that Infinity is an element of RR (since it is *not*
> the set of real numbers).
>
> Vincent

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics